PDA

View Full Version : ISO truing stand to borrow

mello yello
09-12-2016, 03:24 PM
I'm thinking that a good, achievable bike project that won't cause the spousal budget alarm to wail would be to lace up the Formula track hubs I got a while ago to some used Araya VX-400 rims that are in the mail...

Of course, I didn't think this all the way through... so if anyone has a truing stand I could borrow for a few weeks, and, well, some spoke prep and nipple driver... and, well, any other tools I should be aware of (no, I probably don't need a spoke tensiometer or anything) please let me know.

I've trued wheels on an upside down fork before, of course, but a stand is definitely more convenient.

lordofthemark
09-12-2016, 03:50 PM
There is a truing stand in my building bike room, that I would be happy to make available, but I am not authorized to remove it, and it sounds like you need it for longer than you would want to be away from home.

mello yello
09-13-2016, 11:46 AM
Yes, the last set of wheels I built was 10 years ago and I'm only anticipating having short stretches of time to do this... between normal everyday life with a 1-year old and, well, cleanup after said 1-year old goes to bed. This puts wheelbuilding into the "odd-hours" category

Vicegrip
09-13-2016, 02:16 PM
Yes, the last set of wheels I built was 10 years ago and I'm only anticipating having short stretches of time to do this... between normal everyday life with a 1-year old and, well, cleanup after said 1-year old goes to bed. This puts wheelbuilding into the "odd-hours" categoryI have a Park TS-2.2 and a tension guage you can use. I too am located in the United states so we are right near each other.

hozn
09-13-2016, 02:34 PM
You don't need spoke prep, but you would need motor oil.

Going to use an iPhone app for tension?

I would also offer my TS-2.2 stand, but wouldn't want to be without it for more than a week as I have a few in-discussion wheel projects.

Vicegrip
09-13-2016, 05:55 PM
I figured out how to trash my last set of wheels and still have them stay true so no big hurry on the stand*. Forgot to add I have a tension gauge as well. You can pluck or bend for the numbers desired.

*Day after it wanders off I will break a spoke.........

mello yello
09-16-2016, 11:37 AM
Thanks guys,
Day after I posted this I was told I'm being let go, so bike-related projects are getting shelved. I figure I have about $100 worth of spokes and nipples to buy. Now that I know who has the goods I'll get in touch with you (PM here?) if this project gets traction again. Tension meter would actually be good to have, I'm not great at plucking the spokes to see how they sound.

Hozn thanks for the tip on motor oil, I have plenty of that laying around...

hozn
09-16-2016, 11:43 AM
Sorry to hear it! It is sad wheels are so expensive to build, since it is so much fun to build them.