PDA

View Full Version : Show the Arlington County Board that Cyclists Pay Attention - Tuesday @7pm

Mark Blacknell
03-22-2010, 04:02 PM
I will be speaking on behalf of the Arlington Bicycle Advisory Committee at the upcoming County Budget hearing, and am hoping to be joined by as many Arlington cyclists as possible. I will be speaking on TUESDAY, March 23, at 7pm or after. The exact time will be unknown until just before the meeting starts. The meeting will be held in the main County Board Room 307 at 2100 Clarendon Boulevard.

This meeting is held to gather public input on the County budget for the upcoming year. I will be presenting a short (2 minute) statement to the Board that:

acknowledges the progress that Arlington County has made in becoming a bike-friendly community;
requests preservation of existing staffing for bike-related programming;
suggests strategic leveraging of resources for new projects; and
urges a realignment of responsibilities that better reflects the fact that bikes are a growing transportation mode in the county.

Instead of multiple speakers repeating and reinforcing these points throughout the evening, I would very much like as many people as possible to be there for my presentation. At the end, I will ask everyone to rise, be noted, and depart with me after my presentation is concluded. The more the better. The idea is that instead of illustrating our numbers with lots of repetitive testimony, we can do so by simply rising and physically showing our numbers as we leave.

As pointed out by Board Chair Jay Fisette himself, it is essential that the whole of Arlington’s cycling community – not just its few familiar faces - makes its presence known. To that end, I hope you – and as many of your cycling friends as you can pull along – can make an effort to join me on Tuesday. Please feel free to forward this and invite any other Arlington cyclists you think might be interested in helping support this presentation. I welcome all questions and suggestions. If you are planning on joining me, I'd appreciate a note (abac@blacknell.net) or post here (tho' it's not at all necessary). Thanks for your time.

Mark Blacknell
Chair, Arlington Bicycle Advisory Committee

~
More information about the County's FY2011 Budget Process can be found here (http://www.arlingtonva.us/departments/ManagementAndFinance/budget/page72453.aspx).

Mark Blacknell
03-24-2010, 07:31 AM
I just wanted to post a quick note of thanks - especially to the new faces - that came out and helped support making Arlington a better place for cyclists.

bArlington
04-07-2010, 11:53 AM
Excellent work!

We are in the era of egovernment. There needs to be a way that we can show our support for you and your work without the 20th Century "Arlington Way" of physically showing up to the meeting.