PDA

View Full Version : safety concerns: 8th St versus 14th St

meb
08-17-2011, 12:53 PM
I commute from Silver Spring to downtown DC and generally have been taking the 14th St bike lane to get in and out. Recently I tried 8th St, which doesn't have a bike lane but has a lot less traffic than 14th St (and is a bit quicker for me). However, I've been getting a lot more threatening catcalls (I'm a female rider) on 8th St that re making me reconsider biking that route, esp since there are very few pedestrians or other people around on 8th St. and I am always biking alone. Are there other bikers that use 8th St regularly and have you had any safety issues?

cephas
08-18-2011, 10:45 AM
I come in from the other direction, but from your side, fwiw I recommend 15th St. It has a great bicycle lane from 16th St. (Columbia Heights) all the way downtown and is well travelled, but not car heavy.

jrenaut
08-18-2011, 10:49 AM
The 15th street cycletracks are nice, though I find the lights to be timed pretty badly for southbound traffic. Note that the southbound lanes start V St NW and go down to Pennsylvania Ave (with a short and poorly signed detour past the White House) to connect with the cycletracks there.

You will certainly not have the issues you mention on 15th, but there's a lot of distance between V and Silver Spring that you still have to cover, and I don't really know the roads for biking north of Columbia Heights.