PDA

View Full Version : GPS tracking tools

americancyclo
08-16-2011, 09:54 AM
I know that there are data dorks among the cyclist set, and I'm curious how y'all track your rides. I've played around with a few apps, and would love to hear others opinions on what works and what doesn't. I'm only using smartphone apps now, but dream of moving up to a garmin device with cadence and HRM. I like to see how small changes in my route can affect how quickly I can get to/from work.

Runkeeper: I use this the most, but have been annoyed recently with the 30 second delayed start if you don't have a GPS lock. My evening commute starts in an underground garage with no GPS signal. I like the fact that I can export my ride data as a GPX.

MapMyRide: Started using this during their TdF challenge. Really annoying that 'Workouts' can't be assigned to 'Routes' from the mobile app. That's nearly a dealbreaker for me. I do like the hill climb data on the webpage and the way they identify the classes of climbs.

Strava: Just started using this morning. Simple interface and the competitive aspect of it is interesting.

Anyone have thoughts on these, or experiences with other programs? I know there are a lot out there.

Tim Kelley
08-16-2011, 10:25 AM
For training rides, I have a Garmin 310XT and track mileage as well as normalized/average power (with all sorts of other stuff like HR, VI, peak power, 5s power, etc...). I load the files into WKO+, which assigns me a training stress score so I can track acute training load and cronic training load based off of my functional threshold power over time. I have two years worth of data for this and I use the Training Peaks online program for sharing workout files with coaches.

Otherwise, the daily commute and errands are pretty simple and don't change much, so I just add those miles into an excel spreadsheet where I keep track of my workouts and distances on a day/month/year basis.

KS1G
08-16-2011, 01:05 PM
I'm an engineer, so data dorkiness is an occupational hazard and likely genetic. Plus I have an annual mileage competition with a college classmate. I started using a Polar 710 several years ago and switched to a Garmin 500 about a year ago.

For training rides with power, I use Golden Cheetah. I log everything at the Garmin site (good for keeping that annual mileage log current). I keep a spreadsheet for tracking my commuting (started it when my commute went from 4-5 to 11-12 miles each way). I recently found out about Strava and it looks very interesting, especially the Android app. I am pretty pleased with what is available for the Garmin devices; the upload process is reasonably effortless. Strava may become the 1st Android app for cycling I actually use. I don't like the battery consumption the phone apps require and prefer the dedicated bike systems.

I was not impressed with Polar's software when I was using it; the competition from Garmin & others may force them to fix the PC and web-based software.

CCrew
08-16-2011, 02:12 PM
I've got a Garmin Edge 305. Upgrading to a 800 in the near future.

Dirt
08-16-2011, 04:19 PM
Edge 705. RideWithGPS.com has weededm e off of MapMyRide. It is easier for me to use and I get better results.

Justin Antos
08-16-2011, 04:45 PM
RunMeter on my iPhone. Syncs pretty easily to Google Calendar, Twitter, etc. Good "route" capabilities for commutes and frequent trips. Even gives you "behind best by 2 mins" announcements.

SteveTheTech
08-17-2011, 07:25 PM
+1 data geek.

I like seeing things on Google maps.

I've tried Mapmyride and wasn't sold, or got bored I forget.

I'm not convinced my phone (which is always on me and charged) can't do a better job than a garmin, maybe with addition. I picked up something weird online, a Mainnav md-600 (http://www.buy.com/prod/mainnav-mg-600b-sport-gps-data-logger-cycle-computer-with-lcd-screen/q/sellerid/24377851/loc/111/217603596.html). It has all the functions of a decent computer with coordinate logging. It worked great for training. As a beta software aficionado the accompanying software (written in Taiwanese) does actually work despite the manuals repeated attempts at foiling my attempts.

The Move bike computer software wasn't bad, nice and simple.

GPS is great unless your under high tension lines. (I've seen people hit mach 3 in a fraction of a second) Crazy things happen there.

Good thread I had been curious about this topic. +1 internets.

Justin Antos
08-17-2011, 10:15 PM
As for others' complaints that phone apps drain the battery... I've never had a problem with it.

Also, the GPS on my iPhone does tend to jump around near tall buildings downtown. Further afield is no problem.

Dirt
08-18-2011, 07:57 AM
I can't imagine a phone working well for long rides. I'm not aware of a smart phone that can deal with constant use of the GPS for more than a few hours without killing the battery. My Garmin Edge 705 has survived quite a few 14+ hour rides.

Justin Antos
08-18-2011, 08:38 AM
Ah... yeah, I never ride for more than a few hours. My maximum probably coincides with the phone's :)

eminva
08-18-2011, 08:57 AM
I use the same program as Justin. So far, I haven't had any 14 hour days so it works for me. I think it is a great solution for a budget minded application. If you want all the bells and whistles, or if you need 14 hour coverage, go with the Garmin.

Liz

americancyclo
10-17-2011, 10:33 AM
I can't imagine a phone working well for long rides. I'm not aware of a smart phone that can deal with constant use of the GPS for more than a few hours without killing the battery. My Garmin Edge 705 has survived quite a few 14+ hour rides.

I just successfully used the Strava app on my Phone to record the Seagull Century this past weekend. I turned off all the data and voice (airplane mode) to conserve battery. After 7h 20min or running the GPS and taking a few photos, I still had about half the battery life left. I was surprised to say the least, but it makes it obvious that the data services are what kills phones. Not that I think my phone could stand up to the grand rides that Dirt participates in, but for the moment, at least until I can save up for a 705, the phone will suffice, although I really want HRM and cadence data!

Just for comparison, friends had a Garmin Forerunner 405CX that ran out of power within 1 minute of crossing the finish line, and a Garmin Forerunner 310XT that still had 3/4 battery left on it.

Justin Antos
10-17-2011, 12:52 PM
In recent weeks I've taken a few trips in the 5-7 hour range with my iPhone running RunMeter, snapping a few pictures, etc., and I typically still have a quarter to half the battery left. I'm sure it wouldn't last 14, but then again neither would I!! :)

Dirt
10-17-2011, 01:08 PM
I just successfully used the Strava app on my Phone to record the Seagull Century this past weekend. I turned off all the data and voice (airplane mode) to conserve battery. After 7h 20min or running the GPS and taking a few photos, I still had about half the battery life left. I was surprised to say the least, but it makes it obvious that the data services are what kills phones. Not that I think my phone could stand up to the grand rides that Dirt participates in, but for the moment, at least until I can save up for a 705, the phone will suffice, although I really want HRM and cadence data!

Just for comparison, friends had a Garmin Forerunner 405CX that ran out of power within 1 minute of crossing the finish line, and a Garmin Forerunner 310XT that still had 3/4 battery left on it.
Very cool! I end up putting my phone in Airplane mode on rides like that anyways to conserve battery. Cool that it worked for you. My Garmin 705 did fine with the MoCo epic yesterday... 13 hours of riding... I wasn't using it to navigate though.... just to record where I'd been.

Dirt
10-17-2011, 01:09 PM
In recent weeks I've taken a few trips in the 5-7 hour range with my iPhone running RunMeter, snapping a few pictures, etc., and I typically still have a quarter to half the battery left. I'm sure it wouldn't last 14, but then again neither would I!! :)
Running I'd last 30 minutes tops... then I'd be waddling around for the next 4 days. :D I need to start up running slightly more seriously for the winter. I may get myself one of those fancy Garmin running watches.

jabberwocky
10-17-2011, 01:36 PM
I need to start up running slightly more seriously for the winter. I may get myself one of those fancy Garmin running watches.I just picked up a Garmin Forerunner 610 (using the gift card you gave me forever ago for watching the kitties). Its super snazzy.

PotomacCyclist
10-17-2011, 03:01 PM
I use a Garmin 305 with the quick release kit (velcro wrist strap for running, quick release bike mount) and SportTracks (though I temporarily lost access to the program since the graphics card on my desktop decided to die this month).

Garmin just released the Forerunner 910XT. Expensive but nice, from what I've read. I'd like to get that someday, when I have the available funds. Of course, by that time, Garmin will have released the next generation of the Forerunner.

Tim Kelley
10-17-2011, 03:14 PM
I use a Garmin 305 with the quick release kit (velcro wrist strap for running, quick release bike mount) and SportTracks (though I temporarily lost access to the program since the graphics card on my desktop decided to die this month).

Garmin just released the Forerunner 910XT. Expensive but nice, from what I've read. I'd like to get that someday, when I have the available funds. Of course, by that time, Garmin will have released the next generation of the Forerunner.

The 305 is an awesome product and is a great value for the money. The 310xt is a nice upgrade, but only if you need the ANT+ interface to work with a power meter or if you need extended battery life for very long efforts (Ironman, 200+ mile rides, ultramarathons).

The 910 includes better swimming tracking than the 310, but I don't think it's worth the upgrade from a 310 or even a 305.

DaveK
10-17-2011, 03:29 PM
The 305 is an awesome product and is a great value for the money. The 310xt is a nice upgrade, but only if you need the ANT+ interface to work with a power meter or if you need extended battery life for very long efforts (Ironman, 200+ mile rides, ultramarathons).

The 910 includes better swimming tracking than the 310, but I don't think it's worth the upgrade from a 310 or even a 305.

+1 - I love my 305. It's around $130 at Amazon and you absolutely can't beat it for value for money. The quick release kit which includes a much more comfortable wristband and the bike mount is only about $15 more. I actually prefer to keep the space on my bars open so I rigged up a stem mount like this - http://jvanis.blogspot.com/2009/08/installing-garmin-forerunner-305-bike.html - which has worked flawlessly for the year or so I've had it. I keep looking for an excuse to buy an Edge 500 other than "because I want it" and I haven't come up with a good reason yet.

elcee
10-17-2011, 04:20 PM
It looks like Garmin is trying to tempt us with its new Edge 200. SRP of $149.99 and available now. This might just push me over the edge.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=160&pID=90675

skreaminquadz
10-17-2011, 05:58 PM
I also use the 705 along with ridewithgps.com and the standard garmin/connect utility as well. I really like the set up.

I have a 305 I no longer use that I'm thinking of parting with. It's a great unit, I just needed ANT+ for power.

vvill
10-18-2011, 07:48 AM
It looks like Garmin is trying to tempt us with its new Edge 200. SRP of $149.99 and available now. This might just push me over the edge.

Hooray, < $200! :eek: I might finally join everyone and have a cycling GPS! Although you can't add cadence (which I like to have) or HR (never had but wouldn't mind having).

Currently I take the GPS out of my car and put it in a pocket. It's bulky and annoying but it works, sort of... for a few hours. I've actually logged quite a few miles with it on me though. I just pretend it's 1995 or something and I'm actually ahead of the curve.

I use ridewithgps as well. Strava seems ok, but I hate mapmyride.

DaveK
10-18-2011, 09:45 AM
Hooray, < $200! :eek: I might finally join everyone and have a cycling GPS! Although you can't add cadence (which I like to have) or HR (never had but wouldn't mind having).

Currently I take the GPS out of my car and put it in a pocket. It's bulky and annoying but it works, sort of... for a few hours. I've actually logged quite a few miles with it on me though. I just pretend it's 1995 or something and I'm actually ahead of the curve.

I use ridewithgps as well. Strava seems ok, but I hate mapmyride.

FR 305 can add cadence and it's even cheaper. It's more clunky looking though - the Edge line looks like they're actually meant to mount on a bike.

americancyclo
10-18-2011, 11:32 AM

Does this add any more functionality than my old school wired cateye cyclocomputer, along with my smartphone offers? just combined in one unit?

americancyclo
10-18-2011, 11:34 AM
I keep looking for an excuse to buy an Edge 500 other than "because I want it" and I haven't come up with a good reason yet.

The ability to load and navigate a cue sheet is a big reason for me. Connection to HR and cadence is desirable, but the navigation by cue sheets seems like the "big win" that the 705 has over all the others. To be fair, I don't know how easy it is, though.

DaveK
10-18-2011, 01:36 PM
The ability to load and navigate a cue sheet is a big reason for me. Connection to HR and cadence is desirable, but the navigation by cue sheets seems like the "big win" that the 705 has over all the others. To be fair, I don't know how easy it is, though.

The 705 (and the newer 800) has maps just like a car GPS would. You can follow a selected route along a displayed map which is very easy to upload through Garmin Connect or any number of other software. The Edge 500 and Forerunners have a very limited capability of showing "bread crumbs" along a route and displaying a pointer direction straight to that point. It might get you home but you don't want to rely on it for a new route. I've never been able to get that to work correctly either.

americancyclo
11-15-2011, 10:40 AM
Wanted to add some experience I had in trying to find a navigation app that I could use on my smartphone to follow a cue sheet. I downloaded OSMAnd (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OsmAnd) the Open Street Map (Android Version) and loaded up a cue sheet I created in RideWithGPS (http://ridewithgps.com/). You can use a downloaded map, so it won't require tons of data, and it has voice navigation, which I really liked. I placed it in my back pocket, and listened for directions. It worked marginally well. It was confused a few times when I veered off route to see if it would navigate me back on track. I think this might work well if it was mounted on the handlebars, so you could see the screen, but then that might kill the battery. I thought it was a good effort, but wasn't super impressed. At least not impressed enough to purchase a handlebar mount to further research. I haven't uninstalled it from my phone yet, so there may still be hope, but I don't think it quite lives up to the potential out there, and from what I gather, isn't quite as reliable as a Garmin 705 or 800 for following a cue sheet. I may yet take it out again for a portion of the Kill Bill Ride, to see how it does. I know it seems odd to write about a product I wasn't in love with, but I figured I'd share my experience in case there were folks looking for this kind of information.

mrkenny83
11-15-2011, 11:56 AM
I adore MapMyRun.

MCL1981
11-15-2011, 12:07 PM
I use an Android app called MyTracks. It will GPS datalog. The app overlays your tracks on a google map which is handy when I get lost. And when you're done it will upload to your google account creating a google map, and if you use Google Docs, it will make a spreadsheet for you too. It talks too. I have it set to announce in my earphones every 15 minutes my time, distance, and speed.

DaveK
11-15-2011, 02:07 PM
I'm keeping a close eye on this - http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2011/11/motorola-motoactv-in-depth-review.html

Mark Blacknell
11-15-2011, 04:20 PM
I may yet take it out again for a portion of the Kill Bill Ride, to see how it does.

Nearly willing to guarantee failure. Something like Kill Bill confuses most any GPS. That's why we still have paper. Or Dirt.

(Also, phone-based GPS solutions have a fatal flaw on the bike - battery life. When the power runs down, not only are you lost, but you have no way to call home.)

Mark Blacknell
11-15-2011, 04:23 PM
I'm keeping a close eye on this - http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2011/11/motorola-motoactv-in-depth-review.html
Motorola as a source of revolutionary tech? Srsly?

Tim Kelley
11-15-2011, 09:12 PM
Motorola as a source of revolutionary tech? Srsly?

Ahem: http://i.imgur.com/0yZee.jpg

americancyclo
11-16-2011, 08:30 AM
(Also, phone-based GPS solutions have a fatal flaw on the bike - battery life. When the power runs down, not only are you lost, but you have no way to call home.)

True, but if you put in in airplane mode, it lasts much longer than you would expect, and GPS still works.

americancyclo
11-16-2011, 08:39 AM
Ahem: http://i.imgur.com/0yZee.jpg

Now with 2011! http://androidandme.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/droid-razr-post-image.jpg