PDA

View Full Version : A good race wheel?

Jsnyd
08-15-2011, 10:27 PM
I only have about 400mi on the bike itself, but slowly and surely I am replacing parts with better parts. Besides the handlebars and componentry I only have wheels left. I'm wondering what a decent, entry level race wheel is. How much would they cost and what I could expect to gain from the upgrade. I really wanted to pull the trigger on the first sale I found online, but I thought twice. I have a shamano 7 speed cassette. I dont race but maybe someday Id like to try. I ride about 50-100 miles, depending on weather, a week spread out into 3 or 4 rides. Joy rides/fitness about 99% of the time.

Dirt
08-16-2011, 04:29 AM
I'm gonna go back through old posts and read about your bike and riding a bit more before I really respond. Race wheels start at around $500 for a set and go up as high as you can imagine. You can get wheels that are light, aerodynamic or both. I too don't race, but I love the feel of good wheels.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=38.860404,-77.199489

CCrew
08-16-2011, 06:57 AM
7 speed is going to make it difficult. Most Shimano based wheels are 8/9/10 with a few being 10 only.

Jsnyd
08-16-2011, 01:21 PM
7 speed is going to make it difficult. Most Shimano based wheels are 8/9/10 with a few being 10 only.

That's what I was afraid of. If thats the case then I might just ride her "as is" until.... the wheels fall off.

Jsnyd
08-22-2011, 06:59 PM
I found a bontrager "race" front wheel for $25 on craigslist. The guy threw in the rear for free. Its bent up a little so I might see if it can be fixed but the front is nice and true. Ill take a spoke wrench to it and get it really smooth tomorrow. One small step to a better ride.

DaveK
08-23-2011, 11:40 AM
If those are the paired-spoke style, be very careful to check for cracking in the rim around the spoke nipples. Those wheels have a bad reputation.

Jsnyd
08-25-2011, 08:35 PM
If those are the paired-spoke style, be very careful to check for cracking in the rim around the spoke nipples. Those wheels have a bad reputation.

Yea I think they are the same you are talking about. Bladded spokes? Thanks for the heads up. Ill keep an eye out for that.