PDA

View Full Version : Clarification of a sign in DC

jrenaut
08-11-2011, 08:14 AM
Heading south on 14th St NW, there is a sign at K St. saying no right on red for certain hours. As you all probably know, there are access roads (Or, as I like to call them, Death Traps, one of the most misguided traffic patterns in the city after circles with medians between lanes) on either side of K.

I came to a red light at K, and filtered to the front in the right lane, along with 2 or 3 other cyclists, as I always do when I get caught there. The gentleman in a car at the front of the line in the right lane began honking, claiming that he was making a right into the access road. He claimed that the no right on red sign only applies to the main roadway, despite there being no sign anywhere indicating that. I told him I thought he was wrong, and stayed where I was. He was grumpy, and probably arrived at his destination at least six or seven seconds later than he wanted to. I hope he survives.

He's crazy, right? The no right on red applies to the access road, too? Anyone good at finding obscure things like that in the DC code?

DaveK
08-11-2011, 09:02 AM
He's wrong. No turn on red means no turn on red at the intersection. If it's the sign I'm thinking of it doesn't even specify right turns, it just says no turn on red, and even if it specified right turns he's still wrong.