PDA

View Full Version : Help improve Transportation in Northern Virginia - take this very short survey

chris_s
07-05-2016, 10:04 AM
Help improve Transportation in Northern Virginia - take this very short survey

http://nvtatransaction.org/nvta-online-survey/

mello yello
07-05-2016, 10:52 AM
What an odd survey. I am baffled by what the data will help with.

huskerdont
07-05-2016, 10:57 AM
Yeah, basically I just did it to put in a voice for getting around by bike and a vote for more protected bike lanes and MUPs. The questions about what you think will be the most likely to increase or decrease congestion were quite odd, with the same items being listed for both when some clearly will only go one way.

annoyedindc
07-05-2016, 11:05 AM
It was certainly an odd survey and I wonder as well how they'll use it. I put in my $0.02 for protected bike lanes.

scoot
07-05-2016, 12:34 PM
Question 3 is either pointless or disingenuous.

In the survey options, why is the projected regional population increase coupled to the development pattern? Is someone hoping to use the results in order to fuel opposition to smart growth? ("See, the public hates mixed-use development. Everyone agrees it will cause terrible traffic.")

chris_s
07-05-2016, 02:51 PM
I can't see what will possibly be gleaned from question #3 other than "people don't understand what causes congestion".

The rest of it makes sense to me: commute start and end points + non-commute trip modes and travel times.

ShawnoftheDread
07-05-2016, 02:59 PM
The rest of it makes sense to me: commute start and end points + non-commute trip modes and travel times.

But why isn't mode included in the commute portion?

chris_s
07-05-2016, 03:00 PM
But why isn't mode included in the commute portion?
No idea!

mello yello
07-05-2016, 03:02 PM
I can't see what will possibly be gleaned from the last two questions other than "people don't understand what causes congestion".

Wouldn't it make more sense to have commute start and end points and commute modes and travel times? I for one make two commutes per day and very few non-commute trips per week, and the non-commute trips are generally not into Virginia. Commuting is 95% of my weekday travel, and it would make sense to have mode and time options to input for that, instead of only start/end points.

This is a horribly designed survey.

huskerdont
07-05-2016, 03:16 PM
I also wondered what the point was to Question #2. Why have me chose three completely random and noncomparable trips? Isn't how long these trips take irrelevant without knowing how far they are or where they are? And what mode you chose doesn't mean much without knowing the mode chosen for all trips. So it's basically, yeah, some guy rode his bike to a grocery store once; this other guy, he drove to a mall. I think they probably could have already guessed that.

Vicegrip
07-05-2016, 03:23 PM
agree. At best it is slanted in some unseen way to harvest some skewed data.

americancyclo
07-05-2016, 04:10 PM
The Northern Virginia Transportation Authority has some links to TransAction 2040 Update (which i can't get to at work)

and I'm sure the data will be used as it was in their 2015 Annual Report with some stunning nuggets of wisdom such as:

In a surveycommissioned bythe Authority in2015 as part of theTransAction update,Northern Virginiansdescribed typicalNorthern Virginiatravel as slowand congested,unpredictable andfrustrating.

LeprosyStudyGroup
07-05-2016, 04:35 PM
theTransAction ... typicalNorthern ... congested,unpredictable

these are all great bike forum screen names though

chris_s
07-06-2016, 08:28 AM
Let's be honest, it's not a statistically valid survey anyway, so how helpful is it really? That said, if we can skew their terrible survey in a way that is useful toward bikes I'm all for it.

rcannon100
07-06-2016, 09:01 AM
Yeah - I was immediately "Huh??" The results of a badly designed survey cannot be corrected by participation. Methodology matters.

mstone
07-06-2016, 09:21 AM
The problem is that now we have the internet and everyone thinks they're a statistician.

Steve O
07-06-2016, 10:56 AM
The problem is that now we have the internet and everyone thinks they're a statistician.

Actually, it's only 89.7%, not everyone.

mstone
07-06-2016, 01:54 PM
Actually, it's only 89.7%, not everyone.
The problem is that 75 of the numbers are made up on the spot and it isn't always easy to tell which are credible and which are fantasy, especially at second or third hand.

dasgeh
07-06-2016, 02:04 PM
Yep, this is one of the worst surveys I've ever seen. But it takes about a minute to complete, and in the last entry I took the opportunity to remind them that VDOT must do better in serving people moving around outside of cars. In particular, VDOT must maintain its trails (including snow clearing), convert painted bike lanes to protected bike lanes and establish a complete network of trails and protected bike lanes through the region.