PDA

View Full Version : turn-by-turn voice navigation

KristyCP
06-26-2016, 07:12 PM
Does anyone have a favorite app that will do turn-by-turn voice navigation, the way google maps does for driving? I have spent zero time looking into this, but my husband has now spent hours and has come to the conclusion that there's nothing that works on his phone (which runs android 6.0). He doesn't want to use google maps because it won't let him edit the suggested bike route exactly as he wants (and it tends to suggest the most direct route, which isn't always the best for recreational rides). Is there a better option?

TwoWheelsDC
06-26-2016, 08:16 PM
Does anyone have a favorite app that will do turn-by-turn voice navigation, the way google maps does for driving? I have spent zero time looking into this, but my husband has now spent hours and has come to the conclusion that there's nothing that works on his phone (which runs android 6.0). He doesn't want to use google maps because it won't let him edit the suggested bike route exactly as he wants (and it tends to suggest the most direct route, which isn't always the best for recreational rides). Is there a better option?

Welcome! The website/app RideWithGPS will do exactly this, and I use it for this purpose on my motorcycle (I use a Garmin bike computer for cycling navigation). Through the website, you can design a custom route, then pull it up on the phone app, and it'll give you spoken turn-by-turn directions for your custom route. The downside is that you have to pay something like $50 for the annual subscription to use the turn-by-turn service. Designing your routes is free though.

KLizotte
06-26-2016, 08:59 PM
The voice navigation on RideWithGPS is new as of the last few months. I use it and generally find that it works well, especially when combined with a Garmin showing a map, but it definitely still has some glitches (not always announcing turns, sometimes saying left when it is clearly a right). I think it will get better as time goes on. I am a huge fan of the site for route planning however (I download the routes to my Garmin 800 which also gives turn-by-turn instructions).

KristyCP
06-27-2016, 04:21 PM
Thanks for the suggestion! I'll see if it fits my husband's needs. And I'll stick with my tried-and-true methods of following vague intuition or a paper cue sheet clipped to my brake line.

Tim Kelley
06-29-2016, 12:13 PM

Could you edit the ride in Google Maps on a computer beforehand, use the "send to my phone" option, and then open it from there?