PDA

View Full Version : Sligo Creek Parkway

TDB
07-30-2011, 03:42 PM
During the summer, I commute daily 10 miles from College Park to Silver Spring on my single speed, and the most direct / nicest route so far has been along sligo creek. With one caveat: every single bridge along the path for bikers and pedestrians has a little abrupt 1-2inch concrete lip on either side. This, on top of the horrendously paved streets of Silver Spring, makes for one of the bumpier rides my tuchus and wheels have had to deal with. This lately has pushed me to just ride on the two-lane parkway for the 5 or 6 miles I'm on it, hugging the outside ledge of road to let greedy cars pass.

I'm not sure the purpose of this thread, maybe just to vent and/or hear if others dealt with the same thing and found some alternate route that still keeps out of the cities. Might be time to email park services and ask them to wake up and graduate the edges on their bridges. Or go out there with a hammer and chisel one morning. Who knows...

TDB

Greenbelt
07-30-2011, 06:24 PM
There might be some alternate routes? Maybe talk to Ben at Proteus bikes in College Park -- I know he commutes daily from Silver Spring, although I think he's way out in northern Silver Spring outside the beltway...

TDB
07-31-2011, 10:30 AM
Not the exact right direction but you might be on to something, the beltway might be a smoother more favorable ride. Just gotta factor in the more circuitous route. Experiments must be done! (kidding)

TDB