PDA

View Full Version : Humpback Bridge update?

Just161
03-11-2010, 02:40 PM
The already-narrow sidewalk on the Humpback bridge on the Mt. Vernon Trail has been narrowed even further since last fall, forcing bikers and peds to within inches of oncoming, speeding traffic. Now that it's getting warmer and bike traffic is increasing, passing other bikes is near impossible. Even after you dismount, you've got to carry your bike and hold it out over the little plastic traffic cones into the Parkway and oncoming cars to let another bike pass.

I know the project will eventually improve conditions dramatically, which is great -- but it seems like the Mt. Vernon Trail is getting the short end of the stick here compared to the autos. Can we narrow or (gasp) take away a lane from the cars to spread the pain a little bit to accommodate construction?

The NPS website still says the project will be done in "spring 2010," which seems crazily optimistic to me, but I could be wrong. Anyone know the status of the project? How much longer are we going to have to deal with a dangerously narrow bike lane?

Dirt
04-13-2010, 09:21 AM
I'm on a recumbent trike until my shoulder gets more strength back. I rode the Hump bridge a week or so ago. Walking or carrying the trike isn't much of an option. I just waited till I had room to roll across it without annoying too many people. The chicanes are quite a bit of fun on the 3-wheeler. Good opportunity to lift a wheel and ride it like a bike. ;)

Honestly it is about the same width as the underpass that goes under Memorial bridge. Problem is that if you get it wrong, you're face to face with oncoming traffic on GW Pkwy.

I'm heading south to Alexandria on my commute home tonight. I'll report on how fat it is.

Pete

Dirt
04-14-2010, 07:33 AM
I rode the humpty bridge on the way home yesterday and it is still narrow. There's about 8" of path on the bridge that my trike doesn't take up. Interestingly, I had someone try to pass me as I was going over the bridge. He finally decided that he could wait until the chicane to pass me.... and once we were rolling on the trail again, I passed him because he was moving slower than I was. People are morons.