PDA

View Full Version : Weekday Weekly Fort Dupont Spring Rides start March 16th

Raymo853
03-09-2016, 02:25 PM
This Wed March 23rd and next week, Wed March 30th, I am hosting a Wed eve group ride in Fort Dupont. Ride starts at 5:30 PM from the Fort Dupont Activity Center. (Location below) In April I plan to move the rides to 6:00 or 6:30 as the days get longer.

You will need either a mountain bike or cyclocross bike in good working order. The most technical obstacles are wooden water bars covered with wet leaves and loose large gravel. This will be a no drop ride, all are welcomed. This is primarily a social ride designed to get people out on these poorly known trails. The only legal trials in Wash DC. The ride will be roughly 10 miles.

My Strava track from the Dec 5th Group Ride:
https://www.strava.com/activities/444829566

Meet at the Fort Dupont Activity Center on Fort Dupont Drive, SE. The best address for driving directions is 100 Randle Circle SE. Then come off that circle onto Fort Dupont Drive. Google Maps, Bing and iMaps all have routed people really badly when they search for Fort Dupont: to the Lincoln Memorial, Hanes Point, the DC road salt repository by RFK stadium, Delaware City, … Please do not rely on them to get you to the meet up location.
https://goo.gl/maps/TWnkqHS4Swp

Requirements:
Even through the trails are not very technical, you will need a mountain bike or a cyclocross bike in good working order. All riders will be required to wear a helmet and sign a waiver as this is a MORE MTB event.

You can, but don’t have to, RSVP via the Facebook event at: https://www.facebook.com/events/1522218228082378/

mello yello
03-11-2016, 11:42 AM
Yay. That's my neck of the woods (haha) and I'd love to meet up and do some trail riding, it's been almost a decade since I've done single track but I'm building up a rigid 29er for the summer.

Raymo853
03-13-2016, 04:57 PM
Yay. That's my neck of the woods (haha) and I'd love to meet up and do some trail riding, it's been almost a decade since I've done single track but I'm building up a rigid 29er for the summer.
Hope you'll make it some week.

Raymo853
03-21-2016, 10:11 AM
Confirming the ride for this week, Wed March 23rd. The forecast looks grand, 70, sunny and dry.

mello yello
03-23-2016, 03:06 PM
Confirming the ride for this week, Wed March 23rd. The forecast looks grand, 70, sunny and dry.

mmm I might have to ditch work early... I ran out of steam on my 29'er build but I might come give it a shot on my commuter.

Raymo853
03-23-2016, 03:20 PM
Just confirming the ride is happening. I hope to see you around 5:30.

mello yello
03-25-2016, 09:13 AM
Glad to meet you guys, it was certainly hair-raising, but I'd forgotten just how do-able those trials are. Next time I'll be early enough to meet you at the parking lot!

For those thinking that it sounds fun but you need a mountain bike - I did it on a rigid touring frame with 28mm tires and full fenders. I would not suggest doing it fixed... pedal strike on the water bars makes for a bumpy ride. Wider tires would also make it a bit more stable and fast.

Raymo853
04-05-2016, 12:23 PM
No group ride this week, Wed April 6th, nor next week, Wed April 13th. I will be away. Rides will restart on Wed April 20th starting a little later, at 6:00. In May as the days get longer, I plan to move that to 6:30.