PDA

View Full Version : Some Great Cat 6 Racing This Morning: 7/28 Race Recap

Tim Kelley
07-28-2011, 09:53 AM
In case you were wondering what "Cat 6" racing is, here's the background. (http://www.good.is/post/cat-6-competitive-commuting-turns-bike-rides-into-races/)

So this morning I was just enjoying the weather, minding my own business on the ride into work. Then in Clarendon near the metro station a middle aged guy on a red road bike in khakis with one leg rolled up, and a polo shirt pulled up quite close beside me at the stop light. And then he was off in a sprint when the light changed.

Fine. I'll let him go. He must be in a hurry to get somewhere.

Then as I am coming up by Whole Foods, I hear an "On your left" as I get passed in the bike lane by an orange jersey/ tight bike shorts rider who looks like he's sweating quite a bit.

Wow, that's two in a row. Glad to see everyone out on their bikes this morning. The BikeArlington outreach must really be working!

Then as I am coming up near Courthouse, another MAMIL (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Mamil) speeds by me. He's on a shiny black commuter with flat handlebars and skinny road tires and suddenly it's on!

Well, I'm on a mountain bike...and I know I'm wearing flip-flops....and I do have an empty baby seat on the back of the bike...but being passed three times in 3 minutes is too much!

The first guy in Khakis is out of sight, but I know he has a few stop lights up ahead that may work to my advantage. Orange jersey blows the light before Courthouse while Number 3 waits patiently. I coast in behind him and punch it while rounding the corner and swing past him just as the light changes. I can see that Khakis and Orange Jersey are through the next stoplight by the metro station, but will have to wait at Courthouse Road for the light to change because there is always car traffic there.

The light goes green and they are off. I still have some momentum built up and swing in to draft behind a minivan on the downhill to Rhodes Street. I pass Orange Jersey and take the lane with my head down and shift into my biggest gear. The road is clear and I see Khakis up ahead so I really lay down the power--even though I don't have a Powertap on this bike, I'm probably putting out 1000+ watts for a stretch of a few seconds here.

I pull up neck and neck with him and look over just as he starts to fade. I can see the imaginary finish line of Pierce Street where I have to turn off for my building up ahead, and I know I've won the Clarendon-Rosslyn Cat 6 race!

So...that being said. Was that any of you wonderful Forum users that I saw out there today?

And remember, it's not a race until it becomes one.

Dirt
07-28-2011, 10:15 AM
So what you're saying is that winning the final sprint in the Virginia State Inspections and Emissions Classic should NOT be something upon which I base my self esteem?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3626/5714737786_19c5fb444e_b.jpg

americancyclo
07-28-2011, 10:17 AM
--even though I don't have a Powertap on this bike, I'm probably putting out 1000+ watts for a stretch of a few seconds here.

hilarium!

fun reading while I wait for today's BSNYC post... Before the 4th of July, I drafted behind a caravan of port-a-potties on independence ave.
Cat 6 smelloton....

eminva
07-28-2011, 10:36 AM
Awesome, Tim!

I usually let them go by without a second thought. I prefer to contribute to their self-esteem so they can brag at the office about how many people they "dropped" on their way in this morning. Never mind that one was a middle aged lady.:o

I do have one rule though -- I get passed a lot at traffic lights and big downhills. Sometimes I catch up and pass those guys a little further down the road because they are going slower than me. If the same rider passes me again at an intersection or on a big downhill, and I have the misfortune to catch up with them again, then goodbye, I do my MALIL version of what Tim did, and so far, I've never seen one of those guys a third time.;)

So yeah, I guess I do engage in some Cat 6 racing from time to time. Sorry.

Liz

07-28-2011, 12:16 PM
Like eminva , I tend to just let them pass. In the afternoon, I'm usually not n any hurry and don't care. (No one passes me in the morning, since CCrew, is riding north of me.) The exception is when someone blows past me and runs a red light. I'll often go after them.

KLizotte
07-28-2011, 12:32 PM
I had to look up the definition of MAMIL and came across this very funny article about them:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-10965608

I'm aiming to become a MAWIL!

DismalScientist
07-28-2011, 12:47 PM
Hey Tim, that was me in the khakis. I saw you catch up to me turning at Pierce Street. I was surprised that you caught me given the wide tires and the baby seat on the back. Next time I should blow the light at Courthouse as advocated in other fora... (Just kidding.)

BTW, sorry I pulled up to you so close. I wasn't expecting you to pull a track stand in Clarendon with that rig. If you had dropped a foot, there would have been plenty of room.

OneEighth
07-28-2011, 12:56 PM
So what you're saying is that winning the final sprint in the Virginia State Inspections and Emissions Classic should NOT be something upon which I base my self esteem?

Nah, man---once you got that, can't nobody take it away!

acc
07-28-2011, 01:03 PM
I believe in peace, love, and understanding on the trails. I have not a single ounce of competitive blood left in these tired bones. That's why it would never occur to me to blow past the jackass Mamil who cut me off twice at intersections where I stopped and he didn't. And I would never dream of calling out "Suck-kahh" or standing up and wiggling my butt at him as I whizzed by. No, it would never happen. Not once, twice, or even three times.

ann

Dirt
07-28-2011, 01:15 PM
Nah, man---once you got that, can't nobody take it away!
Good to hear. I'm pretty proud of that win. It is on my Resume on Linked-in... right under my high score on the Dig Dug machine in the Newport Beach Arcade. Whoda thunk that I'd get high score on the first quarter after not having played the game in almost 30 years?????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo-_Y4aL1uo

Sorry. I had to post that. Remi Dominates.

eminva
07-28-2011, 01:20 PM
I had to look up the definition of MAMIL and came across this very funny article about them:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-10965608

I'm aiming to become a MAWIL!

Uh oh, upon further review, I miss the upper end of the age cutoff. Please amend my earlier response to substitute "old lady" for "middle aged lady" everywhere it appears.

I don't know if this make me more smug or more ridiculous for my limited role in the morning and afternoon races.

Liz

DismalScientist
07-28-2011, 01:27 PM
http://www.itsnotarace.org
In my defense, my FCN (Food Chain Number) was quite a bit higher than Tim's other victims. But, Tim's FCN was god-like high.

Tim Kelley
07-28-2011, 01:41 PM
Hey Tim, that was me in the khakis. I saw you catch up to me turning at Pierce Street. I was surprised that you caught me given the wide tires and the baby seat on the back. Next time I should blow the light at Courthouse as advocated in other fora... (Just kidding.)

BTW, sorry I pulled up to you so close. I wasn't expecting you to pull a track stand in Clarendon with that rig. If you had dropped a foot, there would have been plenty of room.

I thought I recognized a familiar face from the meet-up at Jay's last month--you were moving pretty well today! Next time stop and say "Hi!"

We should really have a way to distinguish ourselves as forum users when we are out and about. Maybe a secret hand signal or something. Anyone got any ideas?

eminva
07-28-2011, 01:49 PM
We should really have a way to distinguish ourselves as forum users when we are out and about. Maybe a secret hand signal or something. Anyone got any ideas?

Other than our Bike Arlington socks?

Maybe that flourescent bike pin like Congressman Blumenauer was sporting in that now famous interview, affixed somewhere visible to all?

Liz

Tim Kelley
07-28-2011, 02:04 PM
http://www.itsnotarace.org/fcn-calculator/ (http://www.itsnotarace.org)
In my defense, my FCN (Food Chain Number) was quite a bit higher than Tim's other victims. But, Tim's FCN was god-like high.

That's a great calculator.

As a weekend/recreational rider I'm a simple 0, but can go as high as a 15 as a commuter (with the norm being a 12) and that doesn't even take the flip flops into account!

Dirt
07-28-2011, 02:04 PM
http://moonagedaydreams.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/carmen_miranda.jpg
Hmmmmmmmmm

Tim Kelley
07-28-2011, 02:08 PM
Hmmmmmmmmm

Makes me think of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgbphXbqOgY

Dirt
07-28-2011, 02:11 PM
Makes me think of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgbphXbqOgY
Welcome to my world. :D

OneEighth
07-28-2011, 02:12 PM
Hmmmmmmmmm
He'll do it, too...
Not sure about recognition signals, but I'll be leaving DC at 5PM on a red fixie with white tires and bar tape and a big black backpack heading South on the MVT (at approx. 5:15PM)and then West on 4 Mile Run and the W&OD.
I wouldn't mind some fast company.

Dirt
07-28-2011, 02:18 PM
He'll do it, too...
Not sure about recognition signals, but I'll be leaving DC at 5PM on a red fixie with white tires and bar tape and a big black backpack heading South on the MVT (at approx. 5:15PM)and then West on 4 Mile Run and the W&OD.
I wouldn't mind some fast company.
My affinity for pink things with wheels makes me pretty identifiable. As for the ride invite.... With any luck I'll be about an hour ahead of you, sir... and I think I'm going to play on the hills along Custis.

OneEighth
07-28-2011, 02:26 PM
Bummer. Another time then.
Open invite to anyone else.

eminva
07-28-2011, 02:33 PM
That's a great calculator.

As a weekend/recreational rider I'm a simple 0, but can go as high as a 15 as a commuter (with the norm being a 12) and that doesn't even take the flip flops into account!

Tim, if you've got the child seat now, it is only going to get worse. I think they've been discontinued, but I used to have a Burley Piccolo when my son was young. It's a brand of trailer cycle. We rode that to his school, I disconnected it and locked it up at his school, dropped him off and continued my commute downtown. I would pick it up on the way home (my husband having already picked up the kid on foot or in car).

Which is how my son earned his 2007 Bike to Work Day t-shirt.

Liz

Tim Kelley
07-28-2011, 03:05 PM
Tim, if you've got the child seat now, it is only going to get worse. I think they've been discontinued, but I used to have a Burley Piccolo when my son was young. It's a brand of trailer cycle. We rode that to his school, I disconnected it and locked it up at his school, dropped him off and continued my commute downtown. I would pick it up on the way home (my husband having already picked up the kid on foot or in car).

Which is how my son earned his 2007 Bike to Work Day t-shirt.

Liz

We've got a Cougar Chariot (http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/2009/cbb/blog/091019/cougar-2-bike-500.jpg), which converts into a jogging stroller (http://kozy.com/images/library/large/chariot_cougar_jog_07_m.jpg) as well. It even does hiking and cross country skiing (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_YNefm64_J9c/TBfpY-bqr2I/AAAAAAAAJjM/m8F5XWn4Vms/s1600/_MG_6841.jpg). The problem is when it is connected to the bike it is too long to manage in the condo elevator.

It mostly comes out for jogging during the week or for family rides around Arlington ending at Mario's for soft-serve. It also evens out the playing field pretty well--I'm working pretty hard on the MTB to keep up with the wife on her road bike.

americancyclo
07-28-2011, 03:31 PM
Bummer. Another time then.
Open invite to anyone else.

I'd love to SCR! That's a bit out of my way though, as I need to get out to Falls Church on the W&OD. I'm usually found along the Custis. Been splitting my exits from DC either by Penn/Virginia Ave/Roosevelt, or straight down Independance to Arlington Memorial. Not so much that way recently, since that crash video

OneEighth
07-28-2011, 03:58 PM
I use the Custis quite a bit, too. It all depends on how much time I've got for riding. Today, I can afford to take the long way home.
See you out there some time.

SteveTheTech
07-28-2011, 07:58 PM
I lol'd for a while when I read your OP Tim. Nice recap. I was scratching my head at first Cat6....I then proceeded to get lost in sidebar links (wtf with canadian winter cyclists?) for an hour. Sounds like a fun ride.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-bK3KCHcM-qQ/TjICsL00nfI/AAAAAAAAhTA/FMQ5n21lL_o/s912/IMAG0074.jpg

I keep the reflective leg band around my seatpost. I have yet to run into anyone who said anything but I'm sure I've passed and been passed by a few members (or lurkers at least) on the wod during the weekends.

JimF22003
07-29-2011, 05:02 AM
Whew! From the title I was afraid this would be a story about me and the guy on a mountain bike with a backpack who was "racing" me this morning between Falls Church and Gallows Road. Guy did NOT like it that I slowly pulled past him at one point, so he was racing to stay ahead of me.

I could have told him he didn't have to try so hard. He would have beat me without expending so much effort :)

txgoonie
07-29-2011, 08:43 AM
I keep the reflective leg band around my seatpost.

That's actually a cool idea. Or perhaps a reflective sticker of some kind?

My helmet makes it so my ponytail hangs quite prominently out of it, so I'm a prime target. Just can't let an uphill pass by a girl go uncontested. Boys. :rolleyes:

consularrider
07-29-2011, 09:17 AM
I use the Custis quite a bit, too. It all depends on how much time I've got for riding. Today, I can afford to take the long way home.
See you out there some time.

I've gotten used to having you blow by me this week on 4 Mile Run. I'll try and remember to say hi next time.

OneEighth
07-29-2011, 09:43 AM
I've gotten used to having you blow by me this week on 4 Mile Run. I'll try and remember to say hi next time.

Please do.
...and, please tell me that I've remembered to be courteous and call out my passes...

consularrider
07-29-2011, 01:21 PM
And then some of us are just plain OFIL. ;)

StopMeansStop
07-29-2011, 07:39 PM
Awesome, Tim!

I usually let them go by without a second thought. I prefer to contribute to their self-esteem so they can brag at the office about how many people they "dropped" on their way in this morning. Never mind that one was a middle aged lady.:o

I do have one rule though -- I get passed a lot at traffic lights and big downhills. Sometimes I catch up and pass those guys a little further down the road because they are going slower than me. If the same rider passes me again at an intersection or on a big downhill, and I have the misfortune to catch up with them again, then goodbye, I do my MALIL version of what Tim did, and so far, I've never seen one of those guys a third time.;)

So yeah, I guess I do engage in some Cat 6 racing from time to time. Sorry.

Liz

One of my biggest peeves is someone passing at the top of the Rosslyn hill, and then riding their brakes all the way down. If you knew you were just going to slow down, why bother passing?

Greenbelt
09-16-2011, 09:50 AM
With all the pace and tension of that motorized wheelchair chase from Seinfeld. I was smoked until that truck crossing the trail slowed down the leaders.

http://www.vimeo.com/29080269

americancyclo
05-08-2012, 08:58 AM
Some more great Cat 6 racing this morning. I got passed by two guys around brandymore castle and figured they were speeding down the W&OD. When they made the left on to the Custis, I decided to catch up, and when I did, I realized we were all wearing Chrome bags. They were fast and kept a good pace til we split at Penn and L St. I didn't notice them making any real bad decisions about passing and they called their passes to cyclists and pedestrians alike.

Dirt
05-08-2012, 09:10 AM
I got to ride with Lance this morning. :D

pfunkallstar
05-15-2012, 10:20 AM
Some more great Cat 6 racing this morning. I got passed by two guys around brandymore castle and figured they were speeding down the W&OD. When they made the left on to the Custis, I decided to catch up, and when I did, I realized we were all wearing Chrome bags. They were fast and kept a good pace til we split at Penn and L St. I didn't notice them making any real bad decisions about passing and they called their passes to cyclists and pedestrians alike.

I've gone head to head with the guy in the front of that fearsome duo. He is pretty rad on the flats and does a crazy cadence uphill - respect.

MV Clyde
06-15-2012, 07:32 PM
I witnessed a great Cat 6 race this morning on the MVT between Four Mile Run and the Crystal City turn off. Two guys on hybrids with panniers going at it.....back and forth.....one in front then the other..... One was a climber and the other was strong on the flats. I had to turn off, but I wish I could have followed. It was classic. One guy made a dumb move and passed at the airport stop sign with a car coming, but other than that is was good, clean racing.

creadinger
06-17-2012, 07:38 PM
I was unwittingly pulled into a Cat 6 race on Friday on my way home. This rarely happens to me, but some things I cannot let go.

On the MVT heading south before gravelly point, I passed a dude on a mountain bike. It was a busy Friday and I got slowed up by traffic at the little dip/bend to the right next to the gravelly point parking lot and the little bridge over Roaches Run. I didn't want to be the jerk we all talk about making bad passes. There was an older couple on bikes slowing down for a jogger ahead of them since visibility is so bad around that little blip. Next thing I know the cat 6 mountain biker pulls up along side me trying to pass 3 cyclists and a jogger all in a space with no visibility. WTF? So he gets cut-off because the couple is now passing the jogger, so I say, "Nice pass tough guy!" I mean seriously, anyone could be on a cat 6 podium if they don't care about forcing everyone else off the trail.

Once we both got around the jogger and older couple I pounded the pedals to pass him again because I (on a 'cross bike) do not like being passed by mountain bikers, especially jerks who insist on making unsafe passes. I led him up the airport overpass until I pulled off at the CC spur.

The only thing I can say in his favor is that he did announce his passes very aubibly, albeit in an extremely condescending way.

I do not like Cat 6 racing.

aflapr
06-19-2012, 08:24 AM
[QUOTE=MV Clyde;22454]...One was a climber and the other was strong on the flats...QUOTE]

You should carry a polka dot and a green jersey to present to them during the next stage.