PDA

View Full Version : Maine Avenue SW to close temporarily for improvements

Justin Antos
07-27-2011, 10:43 AM
DDOT will be working on the sidewalk area on Maine Avenue, from the 14th St. bridge ramp/Tidal Basin area down towards the fish market for some bike-friendly improvements. Sidewalk may be closed/detoured temporarily. I rode this section yesterday evening, and nothing was closed or ripped up yet, but the area is marked up with spray paint as if activity is imminent.

=========================

Press release from DDOT (http://ddot.dc.gov/DC/DDOT/About+DDOT/News+Room/Construction+To+Start+on+Maine+Avenue,+SW+Trail+Wi dening+and+Eastbound+Roadway+Resurfacing+Project):

(Washington, DC) The District Department of Transportation (DDOT) announced it will begin construction on the Maine Avenue, SW Trail Widening and Eastbound Roadway Resurfacing Project on Monday, July 25, 2011.

The improvements for this project are planned for the south side of Maine Avenue, SW between the northbound 14th Street Bridge ramp and 12th Street, SW.

The project will replace the existing 4-foot-wide sidewalk with a new 14-foot-wide trail, accommodating both bicyclists and pedestrians, and replace the existing road surface. Installation of new storm water drainage elements, bio-retention areas, trees, lighting, signs, curb, gutter and fencing is also included in the project. To accommodate these amenities, on-street parking in this area will be eliminated, the number of vehicular lanes will be reduced from two to one and some driveway entrances to businesses will be realigned.

Construction for this project is scheduled to be completed by mid-October 2011. Construction activities will take place between the hours of 7 am and 7 pm, Monday through Friday and may occur on weekends between 8 am and 5 pm.

During construction, the sidewalk on the south side of Maine Avenue will be closed and signs will detour pedestrians to the north side of Maine Avenue between 14th and 9th Streets, with the Fish Market accessible only from the 9th Street area. At least one vehicle lane on eastbound Maine Street will be kept open throughout the work, except during approved temporary overnight closures.

For more information about this project please contact Project Manager Joe Dorsey at (202) 210-4542 or joseph.dorsey@dc.gov.

07-27-2011, 11:34 AM
Thanks for posting this. I had seen the markings, this morning, but had not yet had a chance to try and find out what was going to happen. All I could gather from the markings was that one lane of traffic was being eliminated and new business entrances, but I was not sure if that mean widening the sidewalk, too.

I guess I need to find a new route home.

PotomacCyclist
07-27-2011, 01:25 PM
This is a neat project. Had no idea they were building a trail there. It will come in handy for riding over to the baseball park.

07-27-2011, 07:29 PM
When I rode by there this afternoon, they had begun work. Traffic was down to one lane and they were making cuts in the roadway -- the lines marked "saw." The sidewalk was open, but actual work has begun.

08-09-2011, 02:53 AM
Work continues on the left lane. The right lane is open.

The sidewalk is now closed. The sign heading westbound is parallel to the circle at the end of Water Street. The sign heading westbound is right after you come under the railroad bridge. (When they first placed this sign, yesterday, it was further west and a lot people would have missed it.)

08-09-2011, 04:20 PM
On the eastern end, they have also closed (and blocked) the sidewalk long Maine Avenue at 9th Street SW. I saw that as I was heading up to Banneker Circle to head over to Hains Point.

DaveK
08-10-2011, 08:36 AM
I had no idea this project was happening until I saw it riding home last night. Going to be a great improvement for connectivity in Southwest and near Southeast. Now the ballpark connection can be entirely off-street from Virginia. I can't count how many bikes I've seen on that 4 foot sidewalk.

rcannon100
11-16-2011, 01:17 PM
Has anyone seen plans for this. I am specifically wondering if there will be a way to get across Maine Ave. Currently cyclists in SW on Maine and 12th Street, come up Maine to Treasury, and then have to cross Maine to get to the Jefferson to the 14th St bridge. The crossing of Maine Ave is harrowing, and I know I have seen reports of people getting hit. Anyone know if they are solving this problem as a part of this project?

11-17-2011, 02:47 AM
Has anyone seen plans for this. I am specifically wondering if there will be a way to get across Maine Ave. Currently cyclists in SW on Maine and 12th Street, come up Maine to Treasury, and then have to cross Maine to get to the Jefferson to the 14th St bridge. The crossing of Maine Ave is harrowing, and I know I have seen reports of people getting hit. Anyone know if they are solving this problem as a part of this project?

I have not seen the plans, but I don't believe it will change any crossings, other than the entrances to the fish market, marina, etc. It's widening the sidewalk along Maine Avenue SW.

I've tried to find out their revised completion date, but I've gotten no response. If I send another e-mail, I'll ask about crossing Maine Avenue SW.

rcannon100
11-17-2011, 07:46 AM
Here is the response which I received:

This project only addresses the quarter-mile segment of Maine Avenue from the Bridge to 12th Street on the south side of Maine Avenue. This contractorís was task was to replace the existing 4-foot-wide sidewalk with a new 14-foot-wide trail, accommodating both bicyclists and pedestrians, and to replace the existing road surface. Installation of new storm water drainage elements, bio-retention areas, trees, lighting, signs, curb, gutter and fencing are also included in the project.

The sidewalk on the south side of Maine Avenue SW will remain closed until the project is complete (for approximately 3 weeks) and signs are currently in place to detour pedestrians to the north side of Maine Avenue SW between 14th Street and 9th Street SW, with the Fish Market accessible only from the 9th Street area.

The actual crossings of Maine Avenue arenít a apart of this project, but the development plans of PN Hoffman may have these facilities addressed. Iíll research and get back to you.

Thanks for your inquiry, as I anticipate that the new sidewalk facility will be a safe and pleasant mode for bicyclists and pedestrians to utilize for travels throughout the corridor.

Best Regards,

Joe

Joseph D. Dorsey
IPMA (AWI & Mega-Project Team)
District Department of Transportation